Do you understand what crusty behind ears means, is it crust or scab? What causes crust behind ears? What are the solutions for crust behind ears, can they be managed at home or is the doctor who must handle them? Is crust behind the ear mild or severe? This article explores the insightful information about behind ear crust, discover more now.
- What is a crust?
- Causes of crusty behind ears
- Crusting behind ears symptoms
- Treat crusty behind ear at home – simple remedies
- You may need to see a doctor
What is a crust?
Crust and scabs are two term usually confused or used interchangeable. See here, a scab is a layer that forms on a skin wound or a cut while a crust is a hard layer that that grows over a skin surface, therefore a scab can be described as a crust. So generally, crusting results when the body secretion or exudates dries up.
Crusting also develops when pus or serum on a ruptured blister dries up. So, there are many causes that can result to crusting on skin. The symptoms will vary relying on the underlying causes. Read on to explore the common causes below.
Causes of crusty behind ears
Here, we will discuss the common causes of scabs or crust behind ears and their respective treatments.
Contact dermatitis or eczema behind ears
This is one is inflammatory skin condition that can affect anybody at any age and is able to occur anywhere in the body. This condition occur when the skin come into contact with irritants or allergens. Allergic contact dermatitis is when the body come into contact with allergens whereas, irritant contact dermatitis occurs when the body come into contact with irritants.
Allergens or irritants may include dyes, shampoos, certain headwear and other body care products. They can result to blister or rash behind ear that are extremely itchy, red and inflamed and that often causes crusts. Contact dermatitis are treated using topical drugs such antihistamine creams, salicylic acids and selenium and zinc pyrithione shampoos, or oral drugs such as antibiotics as well as phototherapy in serious occasions. Home remedies are also available to relieve this condition.
Seborrheic dermatitis in ears
This another skin condition with unspecified cause that can trigger crusty behind ears. It is usually characterized by dandruff-like white scaling and flaking but it may also result to crusts behind ears. Factors that can aggravate or trigger this condition are malassezia yeast infection, stress and anxiety, HIV/AIDS, cold weather or Parkinson`s disease.
Unfortunately, this skin problem can be treated or relieved but cannot be cured, and thus it may tend to come and go. Medicated shampoos and soaps can relieve it but, your doctor may also recommend other treatments.
This is also an inflammatory dermatological disorder. It can appear at any age and tends to affect the elbow skin, knees and scalp more often. This seems to be autoimmune disease but just like seborrheic dermatitis, the exact cause is not well defined. This condition usually runs in family with symptoms such as thick red rashes that are scaly and crusty. Usually, it is the scalp psoriasis the spreads to the area behind the ears.
How can we treat this condition? Well, major aim of ear psoriasis treatment is to stop the rash and avoid any pending infection. Topical therapies such as steroidal cortisone creams and oral treatments may be prescribed. Injections and phototherapy can also be administered depending on the causes and severity.
Medical experts describe this as an infection of the hair follicles that results to symptoms like itchy rashes, irritation, redness and development of blisters. This condition may occur behind the ears and can result to crusting behind ears. Serum or pus from the blisters will dry up to form a crust.
Depending on the seriousness of the resultant symptoms, folliculitis can be treated using antibiotics or antifungals.
Changes in levels of certain hormones can also lead to crusting on skin. When the level of some hormones such as androgens increase, oil producing glands are sent to their over drive mode and thus producing extra body oils. This can lead to formation of skin lesions that may form scab or crust as they heal.
You are vulnerable if you are a teen, you are pregnant, when you are almost experiencing or have just experienced periods, if you are using certain medications such as birth control pills and if you have other underlying health conditions. All these can lead hormonal disorders and thus skin breakouts that are likely to cause crusting.
The best treatment here is the hormone suppressants therapies. Other solutions involve finding alternative to certain medications or treating the underlying diseases.
Dry skin behind ears
Dry skin is usually prone to many disorders. Dry kin is whereby the skin lacks sufficient amount of moisture. This may be due to many underlying factors such as nutritional deficiencies, harsh weather, hormonal shifts and more. A dry skin can easily itch, scale or crust.
Treatment for dry skin depends on the underlying causes but common ones include moisturizing the skin daily, drinking plenty amount of fluids daily, changing diet or taking nutrient supplements among others. The doctor should intervene and know the exact cause for proper medication.
Heat rash behind ear
This skin condition emerge when the sweat glands and blocked and thus moisture and sweat are trapped below the skin. This may result to symptoms such as itching, tinny bumps, flaking, redness and crusty behind ears.
Treatment include controlling the rate of sweating and exposure to heat, proper applications of humidifiers and moisturizers. In severe cases, you may proceed to your doctor for medical treatment.
Skin infections behind ears
A good number of infections can develop behind ears with the most common one including fungal and bacterial infections i.e. tinea capitis and impetigo respectively. Other infections include viral infections such as chickenpox and measles. Ear skin infections usually have these symptoms; itching, reddening, scaling and crusting.
Bacterial together with fungal infections are cured using oral and topical antibiotics and antifungals respectively. Anti-viral medications are also available for viral infections. Certain home remedies can also be used to treat and relieve these ear infections.
Crust behind ear can also be symptoms of the diseases like rubella among others. What is important is to define the exact causes and provide proper treatment. This should be done by qualified medical personnel.
Crusting behind ears symptoms
Symptoms for crusting will vary in many aspects however their color are usually red, white, dark or yellow, all these depend on causes. Other variants include their onset and severity. Severity of these symptoms specially will depend on the causes and how they are being treated. Some symptoms may be mild but if not treated in time, may be a great menace!
Again, I want to put it forward that, the symptoms may occur just before the crusting process, during or after crusting. Here are the common symptoms:
- Before Crusting: itching, swelling, tendering, inflammation, dryness, oily skin, bleeding, bruising or blistering
- During Crusting: Tightening of the skin, itching, pain, the hardening surface grow dark
- After Crusting: Scarring, peeling, red or white surface after the crust peels off and bleeding if the crust or scab is forced to peel before time
If you develop symptoms such as fever, nausea, impaired vision, loss of consciousness or more serious symptoms, please see your doctor in an emergency background, this could signify a serious veiled health condition. Alternatively, you or some near may should call 911 since this is an emergency.
Treat crusty behind ear at home – simple remedies
Crust behind eras is usually a mild condition that can be easily managed at the comfort of our homes. The main role of these home solutions is to relieve itching, inflammation, skin nourishing, and improving the healing process among other roles. Below are top 5 home remedies you should try if you are battling with crusty behind ears.
1. Tea Tree Oil
This is a natural products with antimicrobial properties and thus suitable for getting of the infections. This will also help to soothe itching resulting from bacterial invasions. Definitely, this is the best treatment for acne that may in one way or the other contribute to crusting.
- Mix 10 drops the tea tree oil with ¼ cup of jojoba oil
- Apply the mixture on the crusty ear
- Leave it to rest for 10 minutes and then rinse with water
2. Aloe Vera
This wonderful natural product that has a soothing and effective gel for crusty ear problems. It relieves itching and is good at fighting skin infections. Use the procedure below to apply this remedy:
- Extract fresh aloe gel from aloe leaf
- Use your fingers to apply the gel on the affected area behind the ear
- Leave the gel to dry there and the rinse with lukewarm water
3. Olive Oil
This is a perfect solution for itchy ear and crusty area behind ear. It soften the crust and thus relieve itching and at the same time foster the healing process. It is also another good moisturizer and hence will reduce tension on the skin during crusting or scabbing.
- Take enough amount of olive oil and massage on the crusting skin area
- Leave it there for 10 minutes
- Rinse off using warm water
- Continue to apply the remedy thrice a week until your condition improves
4. Egg Mask
Egg mask contain wonderful proteins and mineral that will ensure your skin is nourished. You skin will be smooth, moisturized and above all, it will regain its beautiful look. Try this remedy today and you will have a testament to share.
- Whisk three egg yolks in a bowl
- Apply the mask on your ear using your fingers.
- Leave it there to dry up the wash off with lukewarm water
5. Lemon Juice
This is another recommended remedy for crusty behind ears. The acidic content help it the get rid of the infections and shrink the oils producing glands. This will regulate the amount of oil produced and thus treat acne that may contribute to development of crusty ear. Dilute the juice if you have sensitive skin.
- Extract a juice from a lemon by cutting two lemons and squeezing them to get the juice
- Apple the mixture on the crusty area using clean cotton towel
- Leave it there for 10 minutes and rinse off using water
Besides these home treatments, there are more precautions you need to observe. You should not scratch, peel or pick the crusty layers, you should maintain the skin moistures, regulate the activities of your sweat gland and also keep your skin clean always.
You may need to see a doctor
Since crusty behind ear have wide range of causes, knowing the underlying cause may be so challenging. Therefore, you should see your doctor to evaluate your condition and provide appropriate treatments. You should also see your doctor if the condition aggravates or persist besides applying over-the-counter drugs or the above home remedies, veiled severe health condition may be the cause to your crusty ear!
Sources of References
- Crusty Ears Causes, White Crust in Ear Canal, Folds, Lobe, Piercing, Discharge, Wax, Behind, Get Rid: http://www.healtreatcure.org/ear/crusty-ears-causes-white-canal-fold-lobe-piercing-wax-get-rid/
- Rash Behind Ear and Neck, Itchy, Bumpy, Pictures, Causes, Symptoms and Treatment: http://www.healthmds.org/ear/ear-rash/rash-behind-ear-neck-itchy-bumpy-pictures-shingles-hives-child-baby-rash-seborrheic-dermatitis-causes-symptoms-treat/
- 5 Causes of Skin Rash Behind The Ears With Pictures: http://www.healthhype.com/causes-of-skin-rash-behind-the-ears-with-pictures.html
- Rash Behind the Ear: 5 Causes and Treatments: http://www.doctorshealthpress.com/skin-care-articles/rash-behind-the-ear-5-causes-and-treatments/
- What causes rashes to form behind the ears: https://www.zocdoc.com/answers/4463/what-causes-rashes-to-form-behind-the-ears
- Rash behind Ear, Neck, Symptoms, Causes, Bumpy Itchy Rash on Child, Adults Get Rid & Treatment: http://www.healthedition.org/rash/ear-and-neck-rash/rash-behind-ear-and-neck-causes-symptoms-itchy-bumpy-rash-on-child-adult-get-rid-treatment-home-remedies/