Why do I have dry skin around eyes? Learn more on causes of dry skin around eyes including itchy, sore, red or very dry skin around eyes and eyelids. You will also get insight on how to get rid of dry skin around and under eyes.
- Dry skin around eyes causes
- Dry itchy skin around eyes
- Red dry skin around eyes
- Dry skin around eyes in infants, babies or toddlers
- Very dry skin around eyes
- Dry skin under eyes
- Sore skin around eyes
- How to get rid of dry skin around eyes
Dry skin around eyes causes
Causes of dry skin around eyes include:
Dryness near the eye could be due to changes in climatic condition with both humid and hot weather being major culprits. Moreover, any extreme weather conditions or sudden changes to it may aggravate your skin’s dryness, making it worse.
This can stimulate dryness around the skin of the eye. These occurs when there is excessive rubbing on the skin or wearing and applying makeup. Other ways in which skin stress accelerate dryness are using dirty makeup brushes with accumulated bacteria, wearing Eyeshadow and/or eyeliner, or applying concealer so you can hide dark skin underneath your eyes.
Exposure to harsh chemicals
If your eyes are exposed over long times, to harsh chemicals in products you use on your face can also lead to dryness since this skin is thinner and more sensitive. The thinner skin makes it naturally susceptible to this type of irritation from toxins and chemicals, including skin products and facial cleansers.
- Sunburn injury which may cause minor to serious burns to the skin of your eyes. You can also have dry skin around eyes if you are exposed to a welder’s arc or sunlamp.
- Perioral dermatitis which is a chronic condition and is accompanied by skin rash that is usually due to poor hygiene.
- Blepharitis that mostly affects the eyelids, causing these to become inflamed with dry and scaly skin
- Eczema can occur on the areas surrounding your eyes, including your eyelids. In addition to dryness, eczema causes the skin to become scaly.
Dry itchy skin around eyes
Skin around the eyes is the most delicate since if it is dry and flaky, it could also be red and irritated. Dryness around eyes skin could occur due to a number of reasons and could lead to itching and peeling of skin around the eye. It can be caused by the following medication conditions:
- According to National Psoriasis Foundation, Facial psoriasis can occur around your eyes, most often in the eyebrows. It causes your skin to dry and flake, and scales may cover your lashes.
- Eczema can occur anywhere on the body and causes severe dry patches that can get very itchy, red and inflamed.
- Blepharitis is an inflammatory condition that affects the eyelids, due to malfunctioning oil glands. This condition causes red, itchy and flaky eyelids.
In addition, the following are some of the side effects of using cosmetic and make ups on skin around eyes:
- Contact dermatitis occurs due to allergic reaction to certain irritants touching your skin causing itching of eye skin.
- Makeup such as eyeliner, mascara, eye shadow or the tools used for applying them may have accumulated bacteria over time. This will irritate your skin, dry it out and perhaps cause it to flake.
- The skin care products use on faces can also irritate your skin and dry out the skin around your eyes.
Red dry skin around eyes
If you have red dry skin around your eyes, the possible causes include the following:
Red dry skin around eyes is caused by bacterial infection such as facial ringworm. It is usually described as a ring-like red rash causes the skin to appear scaly and itchy. The major symptoms of fungal infection may not be ring-shaped but itchy dry and sometimes can cause crusting if infection symptoms severe.
These are external factors such as dampness, chilling cold weather, exposure to sunlight, can trigger redness round your eyes.
Other causes include:
- Allergies triggered by atopic dermatitis.
- seborrheic dermatitis
- Soaps and detergents
Dry skin around eyes in infants, babies or toddlers
Dryness around the eye in infants has become the major problem nowadays in the world due to this dynamic weather changes. From our discussion, certain skin conditions and infections are responsible but common causes include blepharitis, eczema, contact dermatitis and sunburn.
In order to seek for medication of your infant, it is advisable first to understand what is the main cause of eczema or the type of eczema that has developed. So, do infants develop eczema because of a “combination of their genes and environmental factors?” [nationaleczema.org]
Very dry skin around eyes
Dry skin around eyes that is extreme is usually associated with cosmetic or makeups. Dry skin needs to be repaired because it is more prone to damage, such as cracking, but it also increases the chance of eye wrinkles.
In addition, dry skin may indicate an underlying medical condition and if it is not fixed with cosmetic products and home remedies, it may be better to see a doctor. There are several possible causes of dry, red, flaky or itchy skin around the eye:
- Cold and windy weather during fall and winter.
- Exposure to sun that makes the skin red and dry
- Dehydration that leads to dry skin
- Skin care products
Dry skin under eyes
If you’ve got dry skin under eyes, or dry around your eyes skin, the causes are more or less the ones we have mentioned. The causes include:
- Climatic changes
- Eye skin stress
- Harsh chemical exposure
- Dermatological disorder
Sore skin around eyes
Soreness in skin is not easy to hold on particularly when it becomes dry itchy and bumpy. This seems complicated if you have allergies and apply cosmetics such as eyeliners, eyelash dye etc. or use products such as eyelash curlers.
These signs mostly appear on dry eyelids but they could be linked with skin conditions such as blepharitis. For safety and health purposes resist treatments for allergy. The best step to take is go get diagnosed. If your skin around eyes become extremely sore see your eye doctor before you seek medication.
How to get rid of dry skin around eyes
How can you get rid of dry skin around eyes? Let us explore both treatments and remedies for dry skins around eyes together.
Treatment for dry skin around eyes
- Use Antibacterial gel for dry eyelids antibacterial gels will prevent staph infections, which are likely to worsen symptoms especially dry, flaky skin around eyes including the eyelids.
- Eczema is treated using over-the-counter moisturizers and lotions, but you may also need oral or topical steroids. It can also be treated with lotions and gels containing antihistamine, antifungal, antibiotic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, or anesthetic medications.
- Use moisturizer creams for dry skin around eyes such as Vaseline jelly
Home remedies for dry skin around your eyes
Some of the best home remedies you should give a try include the following
Apply aloe Vera
It does not treat the cause but is good in soothing particularly when you experience discomfort brought about by the dryness round the eyes.
Apply raw milk underneath your eyes. Leave it on for a little bit before using water to wash it off.
Apply the cucumber juice on the affected area, pat the area dry, and use a quality moisturizer.
Tea Bag dipped in cold water
This not only soothes dryness, but also prevents wrinkle formation and boosts cell regeneration due to its abilities as a repairing agent.
Colloidal oatmeal paste
Apply colloidal paste of oatmeal 3 times a day if your facial skin is irritated or inflamed by external environmental factors such as cold weather.
You may also like
- Dry Skin around Nose, Under Nose, on Crease, Near Mouth Causes, Remedies and Cures
- Home Remedies for Dry Skin on Hands, Face, Eyes, Nose, Ear, Legs and Dandruff
- Dry Skin Rash Causes, During Pregnancy, on Armpits, Legs, Baby, Nose, Eyes, Breast, Genital, Pictures and Treatment
- Causes of Dry Skin on Legs, Symptoms, Under Eyes, Legs, Patches, Scalp, and Remedies
- Dry Skin Treatment at Home, during Menopause, Pregnancy, on Beard and Due to Eczema Cause
- Dry Skin Around Eyes – Why This Happens and What to Do About It: http://www.askwomennet.com/dry-skin-around-eyes/
- Flaky Skin Around Eyes: Symptoms, Causes and Treatments: https://www.consumerhealthdigest.com/eye-skin-care/flaky-skin-around-eyes.html
- Eyelid contact dermatitis: http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/eyelid-contact-dermatitis/
- The skin around my eyes is extremely dry. What will make this go away? http://www.empowher.com/community/ask/skin-around-my-eyes-extremely-dry-what-will-make-go-away
- Dry Skin Around Eyes And Nose: http://ic.steadyhealth.com/dry-skin-around-eyes-and-nose