Have you tried out lip oil yet this winter? You need to think of swapping your favorite lip makeup for lip oil this coming summer. We have reasons why we think lip oil is what you need plus what need to be looking out for to get the best and out of lip oils.
Lip oils are kind of trendy lip products that combine moisturizing, treatment, lip gloss-like features for glamorously kissable lips with enhanced looks.
- Why you should use oil for your lip care or makeup – Benefits
- How to achieve perfection and benefit from lip oils
- Best oils for your lip
- A. Infused oil for lips
- Tinted lip oils
- Scented or lip flavor oils like Clarins Lip Oil
- Other oils worth to consider of lip application
- Lip oil treatment and DIY procedures
Why you should use oil for your lip care or makeup – Benefits
Can you use these products as makeup alternative or replacement? Looking at the two in terms of what you have to choose, at what time of season and how you benefit from it – there is a lot so say.
First, while a lip gloss seems what many prefer, the difference between an oil for the lips and lip gloss is minimal. Many oils that are applied on lips are non-sticky.
Second, certain oils can be greatly utilized as a lip treatment such as dealing with dryness on lips (dry lips).
Third, this has to do with wide range of protection oils can offer. Researchers have indicated essential oils are enriched with antioxidant to slow down lip wrinkles.
Some can help achieve volumizing of lip or enhance lip plumpness. Other benefits include soothing, calming and cooling.
Most of the lip oils are colorless. However, some do provide sheer lip gloss-like on applying. Unfortunately, when it comes to durability, oils can wear off easily as compared to lip glosses but think again! In case of accidental ingestion lip (essential or plain) oils arguably become a better lip makeup option.
How to achieve perfection and benefit from lip oils
You may have the perfect lip oil at your disposal but not get the results you are craving for. The basics, procedures and beauty tips to getting the best of a lip oil, you could be the issue why you are not getting the desired results.
Therefore, to capitalize and maximize on the benefits of your lip oil, one of the best ideas is to begin by exfoliating your lips. This ensures that you not only remove the dead cells or flakiness but also enhances the performance of lip oil you want to apply.
Tips on how to exfoliate your lips
- Begin with a DIY lip scrub
- Avoid facial exfoliator nearer to the lip line
- Use a soft lip brush and not brush you use to brush your teeth
- If you go for a commercial lip exfoliating product check on the ingredients
- Rinse after you have exfoliated
If you have lip problems, like chronic dryness or chapped lips, take necessary precautions but to do it more safely, talk to a dermatologist.
We also recommend you apply a lip oil before going to bed and leave it overnight. This would give you incredible results that you would love. Softer kissable lips! However, take care not to mess up with your pillows and sheets. So, go for the non-tinted ones.
Counter-check the features and ingredients
Ingredients play a role critical to healing or treatment of lip ailments. Good oils for lip whether you intend to use for beauty, enhancement or treatment, should have a formulation free of certain ingredients.
Depending on what your intentions are, a majority would prefer going with the following features.
- Moisturizing or hydrating oils
- Glossy, shiny finishing
- Long-lasting stay on lips
- Smoothing effect
- Less-sticky or non-sticky lip oils
Best oils for your lip
Looking for best oil for your lip application? Yes. Most lip products with an oil base work for many people. We have done a roundup of lip oil reviews and product testing plus what it takes to choose oil for your lips.
A. Infused oil for lips
An infused lip is one of its own just more than the basic property. For instance, in addition to the ability to offer protection, you can attest to the luxurious feeling of glossy finish, nourishing and natural ingredients with an oil infusion.
Here are samples of some of the best infused lip oils.
1. Milani Moisture Lock Oil Infused Lip
This oil features among the best lip oils due to a number of good infusing qualities such as moisturizing almond coco and nourishing raspberry.
Other infused oils/ingredients include these.
- Healing lemon honey
- Conditioning grape seed
- Repairing primrose
- Grapefruit/peach mango
- Protecting Pomegranate
Milani Moisture Lock Infused Oil comes in shades each with a specified lip ailment treatment such as chapped lips due to external factors during winter. It can feel a bit sticky but can replace your lip balm as you get used to it. With its quality moisturizing property, you can rely on it for your lip needs.
This oil is very affordable.
2. Ulta Juice Infused Lip Oil
A vitamin E and Alaria Esculanta extract, Ulta Juice Infused Lip Oil comes clear (without colour shades). These are the descriptions that make it to be rated highly and as one of the best.
- Glossy finish, cushiony and smooth lip
- Protection and nurturing qualities (cranberry and pomegranate)
- It is paraben-free
Ulta Juice Infused Lip Oil also comes in 6 different tastes (blends) that are non-pigmented flavors. Namely, Cranberry + Pomegranate, Black Raspberry, Jojoba + Peach, Sweet Rose, Coconut and Green Tea + Avocado.
Other infused oils for your lips include juice infused and hybrid balm-in-oil formulas.
- Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil
- Ulta Beauty Juice Infused Lip Oil
- Oil Infusion Color & Care @Sephora
Tinted lip oils
Tinted oils is the next idea that is so close to lip gloss coverage. Some of the best tinted lip oil brands include the following:
1. Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Oil
Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Oil is a super-natural oil found in drugstores. Its formula makes it arguably exceptional for a wide range of lip use.
Oils/ingredients that make up this formulation include:
- Capryloyl Glycerin/Sebacic Acid Copolymer
- Glyceryl Behenate
- Ricinus Communis (castor) seed oil
- Glycine Soja (soybean) oil
- Helianthus Annuus (sunflower) seed oil
- Cocos Nucifera (coconut) oil
- Beewax – Cera Alba
- Shea Butter
It is also affordable.
The tinted shades are Caramel Cloud, Crimson Breeze, Showering Sunset, Whispering Orchid, Misted Plum and the Rustling Rose.
2. Julep Your Lip Addiction Lip Oil Treatment
This tinted oil rates at 3.5 with Amazon and has been reviewed at least 30 times by the end of April 2017. Buyers at Ulta Beauty have rated the same at 3.9 with 34 reviews by the same time in 2017.
It is formulated with camellia oil, avocado oils, grape seed oils and rosehip seed oil. While camellia does greatly in helping get plumping effect, rosehip seed oil helps in repair.
Other key beneficial ingredients include Mango Butter Dimer Dilinoleyl Esters, (Elderberry) Fruit Extract and a vitamin E Tocopheryl Acetate.
3. Yves Saint Laurent Volupté Tint-In-Oil
Yves Saint Laurent Volupté Tint-In-Oil is formulated with essential oils (apricot kernel, coriander fruit, jojoba seed and possiflora edulis seed).
Tint oil features
- Unique colour tint awakens on contact with the lips
- Interacts with the lip tone in a luxurious fashion
- Perfect colour finish
- The tint becomes vibrant after application
- Enhanced lip shape with a flattering glow on lips
Tint evolves and the colour after applying (i.e. the lips are turned on with colour)
Scented or lip flavor oils like Clarins Lip Oil
How about a magnificent oil with a sweet-smelling scent! This sounds absolutely amazing. These are some of the scented oils that you should try.
Common flavors include extracts of flowers and fruits.
1. Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil
Clarins oil products are loved by many. Clarins Instant Light Lip Oil is a luxurious and innovative fusion formula oil that nourishes, soothes, hydrates and enhances lips in terms of makeup.
At Ulta Beauty, this lip oil rates so high. In fact 4.3 based on 51 reviews by April 2017. What makes it rate so high (pros)?
- One buyer says it feels less greasy after applying on the lips
- The fragrance is not big as such and that the oil is not irritating
- Absolute lip comfort as its texture is non-sticky and less oily
- You can use it at any time of day
- It stays on the lips for longer
- Comes with a perfect applicator
Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil comes in three translucent shades which are Honey, Raspberry and Red Berry.
Even though it is more expensive, here is why we think this oil is a perfection.
- You can wear it alone especially when you are not prone to lip dryness
- If you like you can as well wear before or after you apply your lipstick
- If you have natural looking soft lips using it alone is as comfortable as topping with lipstick for a glossy effect
A small number (8/51) of those reviews this lip product comment on the stickiness. In contrast to what many thoughts, Clarins Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil in Raspberry doesn’t have a pink tint. Instead it goes clear after applying on the lips.
2. Sweet Peach Creamy Peach Oil Lip Gloss
A pretty and glossy oil that smells like fresh peaches. According to the product detail, the Too Faced creator was interested in providing something awesome.
Features of Sweet peach Creamy Peach Oil Lip Gloss include:
- Infusion of coconut oil and vitamin E – not forgetting the peaches
- 8 shades
- Moisture-rich formula
- Creamy and lightweight feeling
- Free of parabens, sulphates and phthalates
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free
Each of the peach (nude) is made of common with some of its varying ingredient composition. The 8 shades for this lip oil which comprise the following.
- Pure Peach
- Peach, Please!
- Papa Don’t Peach
- Peach Fuzz
- Peach Tease
- Poppin’ Peach
3. Other flavoured formulations for lip
You can also find flavoured lip oils approved for use in lip balms, edible massage oils or lipstick.
Almond Biscotti Flavor Oil
Tuscany-origin with crisp cookie tastes (traditional Italian biscotti) enriched with almond flavours.
Avocado Hydrating Revitalising Lip Oil
If you are looking for natural oils without artificial additives, this avocado hydrating and revitalising oil is one for you.
Its flower oil scented (lavender and chamomile) is perfect for:
- Moisturizing and softening the lips
- Protection against dryness
- Fresh breath and calming
From customer review, this oil is worth satisfying as a lip treatment oil.
Other oils worth to consider of lip application
- Lancôme Juicy Shaker Lip Oil
- Butter London Sheer Wisdom Lush Lip
- Blue Raspberry Flavor Oil
- Banana Flavor Oil
- Coconut Cooling Lip Oil
NOTE: Some people don’t like strong scents. So, if you are trying scented products for the first time, it is better to try the flavours you are used to.
Lip oil treatment and DIY procedures
What else can lip oil do for your lips? Besides protection and beauty purposes, certain oils can be essentially used for treatment. Refer to the oil ingredients we have highlighted above.
Owing to the fact that your body can become deficient of antioxidants, study indicates that lip oil can be helpful in reducing the risks of radical destruction.
For instance, essential oils have the capacity to aid the body protection by producing glutathione and catalase with each single day of using them.
Lip oils for dry, chapped lips
Anyone is susceptible to dry lips since the skin on our lips is thinner than the rest of the face. Secondly, the lip skin lacks sebaceous glands, for secretion of natural oils. Consequently, there is need to moisturize lips whenever dryness develops around the lips.
The best oils for treating dry, chapped lips are essential oils (pure essential oils). Most of these oils are extracts from plants.
“I’ve been struggling with dry cracked lips for a long time, using lip balms and coconut oil. My lips have been moisturized since my first use of this product! Love it!” Says Britt from Rockwell.
Some of the popular essential oils for dry lips include the following (essential) oils.
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Jasmine essential oil
- Coriander oil
- Chamomile oil
- Aloe Vera oil
- Rose hip seed oil
- Mustard oil
- Almond oil
- Lavender oil
- Blue tansy essential oils
- Peppermint oil
- Citrus peel oil
For homemade DIYs please read more at Homemade Lip Chap Recipe.
If you are prone to lip acne or pimples, take caution before your lip makeup can take on a potentially wrong course.
Please let us know what you find worth and working for you via the comments/reply sections below. If you have a perfect experience from any of the mentioned lip oils or a different one that got you excited, do not hesitate to give us the product details.
You may also like
- Chapped Lips Causes, Treatments, Remedies, Newborn, Severely Cracked Lips or Cheilitis
- Lip Dryness Causes, Very Dry Lips Best Remedies, Treatments and Cures
- Black or Dark Spot on Lips Pictures, Cause, How to Get Rid Fade or Treat Spots on Lips
- Blackheads on Lips Causes, Treatments, Home Remedies and Preventions
- Lip Pimple Causes, Treatment, Remedies for Small, Big, Painful, Red Lip Pimple
- 7 Steps to Get Rid of Lip Wrinkles
- Bramble Berry. Flavoring Oils (Flavor Oils for Lip Balms and Lipsticks): https://www.brambleberry.com/flavoring-oils-c177.aspx
- Allure Beauty Products
- A DIY Coconut Oil Lip Balm That Literally Anyone Can Whip Up At Home: https://www.bustle.com/articles/78736-a-diy-coconut-oil-lip-balm-that-literally-anyone-can-whip-up-at-home
- Why Lip Oil Is the Next-Level Cure for Chapped Lips: http://www.vogue.com/article/best-lip-oil-for-dry-lips
- Instant Light Lip Comfort Oil – CLARINS
- Homemade Lip Balm with Coconut Oil, Lavender & Honey
- WHY YOU NEED TO SWAP YOUR LIP BALM FOR LIP OIL