Are you looking for natural home remedies for a head cold? Reading this article below, for useful tips and remedies for this issue.
Nasal congestion, a sore throat, discomfort, and headache are the common symptoms of a head cold. Other symptoms are an earache, runny nose, high fever, cough and itchy eyes. These unpleasant symptoms may ruin all your fun during the winter season.
The head cold is caused by a flu virus. Symptoms appear two or three days after the exposure to a flu virus. Medications for this condition may result in adverse side effects for your health if it is taken excessively. Although natural home remedies cannot give you an immediate result within one night, they relieve the different symptoms without leaving any unwanted side effects.
Home Remedies – Effective Natural Treatments Relieve Head Cold Symptoms
Here are natural home remedies:
1. Chicken Soup
Eating a bowl of chicken soup is recommended if you suffer from a cold or flu. Chicken soup is loaded with essential vitamins and nutrients that help strengthen the immune system. Antioxidant properties of chicken soup fasten the healing process. Ingredients:
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons of garlic and ginger paste
- 1 cup of egg noodles
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of chopped dill
How to prepare and use:
- Put 1 cup of chicken broth in the oven to boil it for a few minutes
- Add garlic and ginger paste, chopped carrot and chopped dill to chicken broth
- Continue cooking for 20 minutes until the carrot becomes tender
- Add 1 cup of egg noodles to it
- Let it simmer for 9 minutes and then remove the head
- Put the chicken soup in a bowl and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Consume it
2. Herbal Tea
Herbal tea is well known for its medical purposes. In the article, I would like to share with you the ideal herbal tea for a head cold. It prevents the virus’s effects on your body. It gives you a significant relief from inflammation, a headache, and nasal congestion.
- 1 tablespoon of cumin seeds
- 1 cup of coriander seeds
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of fenugreek seeds
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of milk
How to take:
- Put fennel seeds, coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds and cumin seeds in a pan
- Heat and dry toast these seeds until its color turns brown
- Grind these seeds to create the herbal tea powder in a grinder
- Let this herbal tea powder steep in 1 cup of water for a while
- Add sugar or honey to make this herbal tea sweeter
- Drink when it is hot
It is recommended consuming this herbal tea twice daily until the symptoms disappear completely.
3. Turmeric and Milk
The combination of turmeric and milk is effective in reducing the symptoms of this condition. Essential nutrients found in milk speed up the recovery while the turmeric relieves a headache and body aches.
- 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/2 tablespoon of ginger powder
How to take:
- Boil milk for a few minutes
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of ginger powder and 1/2 tablespoon of turmeric powder to the milk
- Let it simmer for a while
- Drink this turmeric milk twice daily to get a significant relief
Ginger is an effective remedy for a head cold because it contains antiviral, expectorant, and anti-inflammatory properties. The use of ginger treats a headache, cough, flu, a sore throat, and other symptoms.
- Clarified butter
- Dry ginger powder
How to take:
- Mix clarified butter, sugar, jaggery and dry ginger powder in equal quantities
- Consume this mixture in the morning
5. Sore Throat Gargle
A sore throat gargling with a combination of salt, sage, and apple cider vinegar is recommended if you have a head cold. The salt is effective in getting rid of excess fluid from the throat tissues. Sage contains astringent and anti-bacterial properties that fasten the recovery. Furthermore, the use of apple cider vinegar gives you a significant relief from a sore throat.
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of dried sage
- 1 cup of water
- Put dried sage in a mug
- Pour a cup of boiling water over it
- Let it steep for 15 minutes
- Add apple cider vinegar and sprinkle a tablespoon of salt
- Strain the tea
- Use this tea to gargle your sore throat three times a day for a satisfactory result
Cinnamon is included in a list of home remedies for head cold because it relieves a sore throat and cough.
- 1 tablespoon of powdered cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- A glass of water
- Add 2 cloves and a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon in a saucepan filled with a glass of water
- Boil it and let it simmer for 15 to 20 minutes
- Strain the liquid and consume it
- Drink this solution twice a day for the desired result
To make it taste better, you can add some honey before consuming.
Some useful tips you should remember for treating a head cold
These following tips help fasten the recovery.
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water to hydrate your body and relieve congestion
- Gargle your sore throat with warm salt water
- Blow your nose to get rid of mucus
- Take enough rest
These natural home remedies can give you a significant relief from a head cold. However, if the symptoms last more than 2 weeks, you should make an appointment with a doctor.